Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Scones with Lemon Glaze



Simple but Delicious.

Scones
2 cups Flour
3 to 4 Tablespoons Sugar
1½ Teaspoons Baking Powder
4 Tablespoons cold Butter
1 Egg
¾ cup Milk

Glaze
½ cup Powdered Sugar
Juice from about half a lemon

• Stir together first three ingredients.
• Cut up butter and rub into flour mixture. I've done this by hand when my nails are short, but most of the time I just pulse this in the food processor.
• Mix together egg and milk. Set aside about a tablespoon or two to brush on the top of the scones before baking.
• Using a spatula or spoon, gently fold the flour mixture in with the milk mixture.
• Once mixed, turn out onto a floured surface and fold over on itself a few times adding flour if it's still too wet. Be gentle though and don't knead it.
• My preferred method of cutting is to pat this out into a square or rectangle about 3/4 inch thick and using a pastry cutter slice it into triangles ... All dough used. I've got a nifty little fluted round cutter, but then, once cut, I have to take the scraps and put those together just to use up all the dough. If these aren't going to a tea party... not worth the time :)
• Place scones on baking sheet. I use parchment paper. Brush with milk mixture and sprinkle with sugar if you want.

• Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Let cool before glazing.

Okay... Lemon Glaze. I put the powdered sugar into a cup and using a lemon squeezer, I add about a tablespoon lemon juice, stir and then check consistency. Add more if needed. If you're frosting them like the picture on the left, you want a slightly thicker consistency than if you're drizzling.

Makes about 12 scones.

I use this basic recipe and modify it to incorporate all different sorts of things. I use Blueberries, Cranberries, Chocolate Chips, sun dried tomatoes, herbs, parmesan cheese. I've switched out and added buttermilk or sour cream. From savory to sweet, I love these.

1 comment:

  1. These sound scrumptious Justine! I have things on hand to use for these too - lemons, sour cream, blueberries, powdered sugar...I guess I'm making me some scones! :)

    ReplyDelete